Stream Album ‘Victory Day’ on Spotify
Tobin Bradstreet introducing brand new studio album, Victory Day
Electronic music artist and producer Tobin Bradstreet is back on the scene with a brand new studio album, Victory Day. This release features 8 songs, as well as a 9th bonus track. The songs stand out for their modern sound and distinctive personality. Although the production is quite polished, it is by no means overproduced. This unique dichotomy allows a lot of wonderfully organic and “human” elements to really add liveliness to the songs and bring the vision to life beautifully. Keep reading for a song-by-song breakdown!
1. Reality: This song is actually the perfect opener, because it sets the bar quite high from the get-go, giving the audience an immediate insight into the production and the vibe you will get from this release. The song has a minimalist outlook, but it still packs a lot of punch, going for a diverse and rich arrangement.
2. Guilty Pleasure: In terms of production, this could be one of my favorite moments on this album. The song has a rich, smooth and big-sounding arrangement, and the production has a cinematic quality to it. The soundscapes in the background are never overpowering, allowing the rhythm to really shine through. Balance is key here, and Tobin is a skillful producer who definitely knows what he is doing.
3. Pray: This track has a very charming atmosphere and it has a very insightful soundscape that makes you feel connected to it. As the title might suggest, the atmosphere is cathartic, almost spiritual here. This song is a great example of what Tobin can achieve by layering so many different sounds together.
4. Always: This catchy tune represents a significant step forward for the artist, showcasing a sound that feels refined, yet instinctive and loaded with energy, but also maintaining a somewhat intimate feel, with a visceral and electrifying sound.
5. Behind These Great Walls: From the unique mix of great lyrics and engaging grooves, down to the immediacy of the hooks, this particular track channels a various range of influences to perfection, resulting in a balanced, diverse and exciting tone that will certainly please a very broad audience.
6. Alpha and Omega: With a title symbolizing the beginning and the end of everything, it is easy to see that this is an ambitious track. The production reaches astonishing heights, with fat sounds that run deep, creating a textural and multi-dimensional mix, almost as if you could sink into the rhythm,.
7. Victory Day: Here comes the title track! There is a reason why the album is actually named after this particular composition. In fact, Victory Day is one of the most iconic and spectacular tunes in this release and it is perhaps the best introduction to Tobin’s work – a great calling card to his music and style of production, if you will!
8. Killing Me Gently: Perhaps a play on the famous song title, “Killing Me Softly,” this track highlights some of Tobin’s tech and minimalistic influences to perfection, creating a very immediate, yet richly nuanced sonic fabric.
9. (Bonus track) Sell Your Soul for a Record Deal: There is also room for a stunning bonus track, which immediately lured me in due to the whimsical and clever title. However, the song is more than a gimmick, and the beat will entrap you from the get-go.
In conclusion, this album is truly astonishing and it highlights the artist’s ability to create diverse, yet balanced tracks that blur the lines between a wide range of textures and sounds. Tobin’s work as a producer hits the mark. The mixes on the album are very balanced and quite detail-oriented, making for a lively, edgy and stark sonic approach. In other words, there are many subtle nuances in these stellar tracks, adding more to the richness of the track when summed up together. The frequency spectrum of the mix is also very balanced, with a tight, yet deep low end working wonders along with a smooth top end, which adds a sense of clarity to the music. You can really tell that Tobin knows how to move in the studio, and he often uses some cool analog synths to bring a more organic flow to his sound!
From minimal and glitch, down to more traditional EDM currents, anything goes here! Fans of artists as diverse as ARTBAT, as well as Boris Brejcha and even Jon Hopkins are definitely going to appreciate the sound and feel of this particular release, so it is definitely something that you don’t want to sleep on!
Find out more about Tobin Bradstreet and do not miss out on Victory Day, which is currently available on Spotify, as well as other music streaming platforms on the web.
We also had the chance to catch up with the artist: keep reading to learn more!
I love how you manage to render your tracks so personal and organic. Does the melody come first, or do you focus on the beat the most?
Answer: I always start with both the bassline and the kick and work my way up. There’s always an idea of where to go with the central vibe and direction of a track.
Do you perform live? If so, do you feel more comfortable on a stage or within the walls of the recording studio?
Answer: I love to mix both my own tracks and also high-tech minimal as a live DJ set. I get a kick doing it live ensuring people have a great set. That said I just love the late-night studio time in the weekends. Working in the studio is kind of a ‘release time’ or escape for me from being an entrepreneur and building business during the week.
If you could only pick one song to make a “first impression” on a new listener, which song would you pick and why?nn
Answer: I think both ‘Reality’ and ‘Always’ set the tone for all to come this year. Both tracks were the very last ones produced just before the ‘Victory Day’ album was released.
What does it take to be “innovative” in music?
Answer: I think ‘innovative’ in electronic music -especially in times where every teen with a laptop and some sample packs can make ‘music- is staying close to your own unique taste and most inspirational sources. Just keep it authentic and develop a sound you love yourself. There’s always an audience ready for your unique sound!
Any upcoming release or tour your way?
Answer: Absolutely. The next album is halfway finished and listening gets me excited with it’s potential. I will release a new album at the end of every year. This album will be more uplifting and energizing. It has a very dance-orientated direction already. And it will at the same time stay close to the artistic, cinematic side too.
Anywhere online where curious fans can listen to your music and find out more about you?
Answer: I drop all tracks in development way too early and way in advance of any new album on my https://soundcloud.com/tobinbradstreet